1) This year lots of ticks and fleas (warmer winter) so protect the dog, spray a ahead time. We also use a natural soap that respells tick and fleas that is made and sold here locally, we also sell it at Creekwood.(Shampoochie) from Greenstone Soap Factory
2) Collar/Id a must, choose bright colors for easy ID and never choke chains (dogs can hang up on low lying branch's), and of course ID/rabies tag.
3)Use a light nylon lease, leather is heavy. And we use a waterprof
4) Bring water, do not let them drink from puddles/standing water. We bring frozen water bottles and a Tupperware collapsible bowl.
5) Food, small amounts of energy snacks.
6) Of course police after you dog, bring bagsyou know the rest
7) First aid, if you are going for a long/over night hike then you will need to consult a vet.
I carry twezers, and as always my SPOT unit
8)Clothing, booties, and reflective.
9) Of course a camera!